Thyroid Surgery In Palm Harbor, FL
The thyroid gland, located in the neck around the trachea, consists of two lobes that sit on either side of the windpipe. The main function of the thyroid gland is to produce a hormone that controls a person’s metabolism, heart rate and the gastrointestinal tract.
Common Thyroid Disorders
The thyroid gland is prone to developing a range of problems, most of which involve hormone fluctuation, an increase in the growth of the thyroid, formation of benign lumps and nodules, and formation of malignant lumps and nodules. The most common thyroid disorders include:
- Thyroid Nodules - Thyroid nodules are abnormal growths that cause a lump, or multiple lumps, in the thyroid gland. Even though most thyroid nodules are benign and not symptomatic, a physical examination, thyroid ultrasound, thyroid scan and biopsy are necessary.
- Hyperthyroidism - Hyperthyroidism causes your thyroid to make too much thyroid hormone, which may result in weight loss, rapid heart rate and mood swings. If hyperthyroidism is detected by a physician after a thyroid hormone test, you will begin antithyroid medicines.
- Hypothyroidism - Hypothyroidism is caused by too little thyroid hormone being secreted by the thyroid. It may cause people to feel sluggish and can cause a decrease in metabolism. The most common way to treat hypothyroidism is with the synthetic thyroid hormone T4.
- Thyroid Cancer - There are many types of thyroid cancer, including papillary, follicular, medullary, and lymphoma. If symptoms do occur, they most commonly include pain in the neck, difficulty swallowing, excessive coughing and pressure in the neck. Thyroid cancer can be detected through a thyroid ultrasound, CT scan, MRI and chest X-rays.
Thyroid Surgery Options
Gulfcoast Ear, Nose & Throat offers minimally invasive thyroid surgery options, such as thyroid removal for cancer, lymph node biopsy and dissections and surgery for goiters. We offer many minimally invasive procedures, which leave minimal scarring and reduce recovery time. Minimally invasive thyroid procedures offered by Dr. Berrios include:
- Minimally Invasive Thyroidectomy (Removal of the entire thyroid)
- Minimally Invasive Thyroid Lobectomy (Removal of half the thyroid)
- Video-assisted Thyroidectomy
- Endoscopic Transaxillary Thyroid Surgery
- Mini-incision Thyroid Surgery
Schedule an Appointment in Palm Harbor, FL
If you're in need of thyroid surgery in the Tampa area, contact Gulfcoast ENT today to schedule an appointment. Give our Palm Harbor office a call at (727) 942-4005 today to schedule an appointment.